Four Simple Steps To Follow. While Importing Your Vehicle Into The UAE
If you are a citizen from the UAE coming back to your country or a foreign national settling in the UAE, getting your vehicle into the UAE can feel rather overwhelming at first. The various options available to do this and knowing where to start can be quite difficult especially since UAE’s rules on importing vehicles aren’t that flexible. Four Easy Steps During Car Importation into the UAE that you need to follow :
To make the process of relocating your vehicles to the UAE easier, here’s a list of the procedures you can follow.
1. Get your documentation in check
To complete the bureaucratic process, you’ll need to present certain documents to ship your vehicle to the UAE. These are as follows:
1. Bill of Lading- This is a document issued by a carrier on the details of the good that is being carried.
2. Commercial Invoice- This is a legal document between a buyer and seller. It serves as evidence for transactions.
3. Certificate of Origin– This is a certificate that declares a good is obtained, processed, and manufactured in a particular country.
4. Packing List of Imported Goods– This gives information about the goods that are being imported. Its weight, dimensions, etc.
5. Delivery Order– This is the order given by the carrier to the party to take delivery of goods
6. Copy of Passport– keep the copy of the passport of the owner of the vehicle ready.
7. Residence Visa– Make sure to keep a copy of the residence visa that has been issued to the owner.
8. Drivers License– A copy of the owner’s driving license is required during various applications. If the owner is a license holder from the US or western European countries, this can be exempted.
In addition to these documents, you will also be required to pay customs fees. The fees would defer from vehicle to vehicle.
2. Getting Your Vehicle
Before collecting your vehicle, you must undergo a clearance procedure for all vehicles. This is usually done at the point of entry like Port Rashid or Jebel Air Free zone etc.
After checking, you must pay 5% of your car’s worth to the UAE authority. Once completed, you’ll receive blue export plates to attach to your vehicle. These plates would cost you 60 AED.
3. Vehicle Testing
After preparing your documents and completing clearance, proceed to have your vehicle tested. The vehicle should pass the test for you to be able to use it in the UAE. There are various testing centers across the UAE where you could get this done. The test will be done to prove the safety and durability of the vehicle.
4. Insurance and Registration
Post the completion of these steps, you get your vehicle registered and insured in the UAE. Various companies can assist you with obtaining vehicle insurance. You can avail of their services to make the process easier. If your vehicle is older than 10 years, it has to be insured by a third-party process.
After completing the insurance process, proceed to register your vehicle with the Roads and Transport Authority. Fill in the application form and hand over the documents to complete the procedure. Once approved, you will revive normal number plates and a registration card. Keep the registration card in your vehicle at all times.
Free to Ride!
Once these procedures are completed, you can legally drive your vehicle anywhere in the UAE. Having to go through all the above steps in a new place can become a bit confusing at first, but going step-by-step through them would help to make it easier. And follow the four easy steps during car importation into the UAE.
If going through the process does not seem like your cup of tea, you can always hire professionals who will take care of everything for you. They would ensure everything is done correctly and there are lesser chances of mistakes happening. This way you can sit back and enjoy the process of moving to a new place!